News from Mexico
Compromisos Asumidos en México Frente a la Actualización de la NDC El impacto del cambio climático nos plantea retos que implican mirar de manera crítica y con una nueva conciencia el bienestar de las personas en interrelación con el del planeta. Reducir la...
Marca de Certificación Agave Responsable Ambiental: un compromiso subnacional con los bosques y selvas de Jalisco, México
En la COP26 en 2019, el Gobierno del estado de Jalisco y la Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Desarrollo Territorial (SEMADET) en conjunto con El Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) y la Cámara Nacional de la Industria del Tequila (CNIT), por primera vez presentaron la...
“Let’s put our hands in the ground, our minds in the community, and put our commitment to governance and development into practice.”
–Sayda Rodriguez, Secretary of Urban Development and Environment, Yucatán
Jurisdictional Strategies & Investment Plans
State Investment Plans: Towards strengthening REDD+ Implementation
The proposal aimed to implement the Campeche Jurisdictional REDD+ Strategy to address deforestation with short- and medium-term impact. The first goal was to mainstream the REDD+ agenda into other government sectors, such as finance and rural development. The second goal focused on improving the capacity of local actors to and local governance in reducing deforestation.
- Establishment of intersectoral coordination agreements for fire prevention and firefighting between federal, state and municipal institutions;
- Implemented the Campeche State Fire Management Program (PEMFC), including a training process for extension agents to disseminate knowledge about firefighting and aimed at strengthening community leadership;
- The implementation of the PEMFC contributes directly to the reduction of emissions from deforestation caused by fires;
- Consolidating environmental management units by developing three Local Ecological Management Plans (POELs), updating two, building capacity and generating recommendations to ensure that the POELs are incorporated into municipal public policy.
Local Partner: The Nature Conservancy, Mexico
Investment Plans Transitioning to Sustainability: Resilient and Low-Emission Chiapas
Developing an investment plan for low-emission rural development, establishing strategic alliances with other government institutions and non-governmental organizations.
- Development of State Investment Plan;
- Development of two Regional Plans covering 4 regions of the State of Chiapas;
- Establishment of a public-private financial platform between Secretariat of Environment and Natural History and El Triunfo Conservation Fund;
- Coordination between the Secretariats of Environment and Agriculture to promote sustainable production processes.
Local Partner: The Nature Conservancy (TNC)
Development of a State REDD+ Strategy Tabasco
Developed the State Strategy for the Reduction of Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation – Tabasco (EEREDD+ Tabasco), which allowed the state to achieve emission reduction goals for the Land Use, Land Use Change, and Forestry (LULUCF) sector in the state.
- Update of the Baseline for the EEREDD+ Tabasco;
- 16 thematic workshops for the generation of information and the establishment of consensus with the sectors linked to REDD+;
- Installation of the working group and the Technical Advisory Council (CTC) of the EEREDD+ Tabasco;
- Final document of the State REDD+ Tabasco REDD+ Strategy approved and signed into law.
Local Partner: Conservation International Mexico
Investment Plans for Low Emission Rural Development in the State of Oaxaca
This project aimed to support the actions that the Government of the State of Oaxaca has been taking to promote the transition to low-emission rural development within the framework of the National REDD+ Strategy and with a view to contributing to compliance with the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and the objectives (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Mexico.
- Development of pilots for productive activities: agave-mezcal, sustainable livestock, coffee and Milpa Intercalada;
- Consolidation of the Intersectoral Roundtable on Restoration to promote collaboration between the agricultural, forestry, planning, conservation and development sectors;
- Development of a methodology for territorial planning in the state with proposals for functional landscape and restoration models, and definition of prioritization zones to maximize impact on sustainable development objectives;
- Updating the State’s REDD+ Strategy with forest degradation data.
Local Partner: International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
State Investment Plan: Towards Strengthening REDD+ Implementation in Yucatán, Mexico
Activities in Yucatán supported the implementation of the state REDD+ Strategy (EEREDD+) and the strengthening of REDD+ planning and governance at the local level, through municipal planning and strengthening the Junta Intermunicipal Biocultural del PUUC (JIBIOPUCC)
- Strengthening of sustainable low-emission rural development in Yucatán, through a plan for low-emission agrobusiness;
- Building financial capacities and mechanisms to implement and monitor the Investment Program under the emission Reduction Initiative (ERI) in JIBIOPUCC;
- Strengthening of the REDD+ results (emissions and deforestation) monitoring and reporting architecture through alignment with the national system;
- Development of Local Ecological Management Plans (POELs) Tekax y Oxkutzcab;
- Gender mainstreaming in Window A activities.
Local Partners: The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and the Secretary of Sustainable Development (SDS)